In 1905, a group of schoolboys met in a paddock and played hockey with sticks cut from trees. That paddock is now Central Park, Malvern and they formed probably the oldest hockey club in Melbourne.
They called themselves the Taranakis, the name of the home of Mr James Dunlop. Two of his sons were among the members of the Taranakis.
As finances improved, the boys purchased solid wooden sticks at 4/6 each, or later imported English sticks for 7/6.
The first pavilion was a wooden tool shed, while the shower was a hose with demountable hessian walls.
Apart from the Dunlop boys, those plyers included Len Forester and Norman Dickson. The names of the rest of this team have been lost.